Discounters: Rapid growth or gross myth? 2010
While it may be a common presumption that discounters are benefitting from the downturn, is this really the case?
In the wake of the global economic crisis, discounters were expected to benefit from rising footfall due to lower discretionary income, e.g. Aldi UK’s 2008 turnover climbed 24%. However, due to their increasing success, discounters can no longer ‘fly under the radar’ and traditional retailers can no longer afford to ignore them. With all retailers focusing on efficiency and price, discounters have been suddenly faced with increasing competition from all formats, forcing them to battle on all fronts. In this situation, Planet Retail expects them to play their top trump - price.
This highly detailed report uncovers uncover the opportunities, threats and idiosyncrasies of this highly dynamic channel.
- Global Overview 2009-2014
- Leading Discount Markets
- Leading Discount Retailers
- Leading Discounters
- Top 10 Rankings
- What is Moving the Top 5
- Discounters: The All-Purpose Destination
- Fighting Other Channels
- New Features & Trends
- How competitors can raise the gauntlet
- Range Rationalisation
- Marketing and Price Promotions
- Tailored Discount Private Labels
- New Discount-Oriented Hybrids
- How manufacturers can benefit
- Supplying Brands
- Supplying Private Labels
- Discover how retailers can compete against discounters;
- Identify the top 10 leading discounters and compare their strategies;
- Forecast the leading retailers and markets from 2009-2014; and
- Discover the opportunities for manufacturers once their products are on the discounters' shelves.
Matthias Queck Research Director
Matthias Queck is the Research Director for European grocery based in Frankfurt. Matthias' expertise lies in the German and Dutch retail markets and he is responsible for the coverage of developments in discounting and private labels. He has spoken at retail conferences in Amsterdam, Berlin, Budapest, London and at the University of Oxford. Matthias is also a regular commentator on retail issues in the German-speaking media. Before joining Planet Retail, he was a journalist for Lebensmittel Zeitung - Germany’s specialist newspaper on food retail - for five years where he was responsible for Aldi, Lidl and retailers' own labels, among others.