Retailer Strategic Initiatives Q4 2018
11 Jan 2019
Reports & Presentations
Our Retailers' Strategic Initiatives update is essential reading for anyone in the FMCG community. Using the STEIP framework, this new report captures the latest strategic initiatives from the world’s largest grocery-led operators that Edge Retail Insight believes will have the biggest impact on the future of retail.
The report outlines initiatives across our 4 key winning strategies – Store of the Future, Ecommerce & Digital System Management, Supply Chain & Fulfilment, and Engagement & Retention. Each initiative is supported with clear implications and actions – helping suppliers and retailers understand how best to respond to these strategic shifts.
Table of contents
Initiatives from Q4 2018
Store of the Future
- Amazon launches data-driven 4 star format
- Walmart tests Sam’s Club Now tech-focused store
- Sainsbury’s unveils new experiential big-box format
- Walgreens and Kroger expand co-operation pilot
Ecommerce & Digital Ecosystem Management
- Walmart acquires online fashion businesses Eloquii and Bare Necessities
- Alibaba to restructure Tmall, sharpen focus on New Retail
Supply Chain & Fulfilment
- Waitrose trials in-home delivery in a UK first
- Alibaba rolls out 30-minute pharmacy delivery in China
- Walmart China tests same-day grocery delivery
Engagement & Retention
- Amazon Prime US membership slows
- CVS pilots subscription programme CarePass
- Amazon India launches social commerce platform Spark
Recommendations by Winning Strategy
Recommendations by Sector
Reasons to buy
o Gain an in-depth understanding of retailer initiatives that will have the biggest impact on the future of retail.
o Understand how best to respond to these initiatives with a clear set of implications and actions.
o See first-hand how other manufacturers and retailers have responded to these initiatives with case studies.